By Katherine Feldhouse, Wellness Coach at Clean
Our mealtime cravings can certainly fluctuate with the seasonal changes, and during colder times of the year, it is not uncommon to reach for warming and grounding foods rather than cooling or cold ingredients.
If we turn to Ayurveda—an ancient natural system of medicine originating in India—eating in an intuitive and seasonal manner can helpful help find balance within our physical constitutions and overall wellbeing. Learn more about your body-mind constitution by taking our dosha quiz here.
Apples, packed with heart-healthy pectin and immune-boosting vitamin C, are abundant in cooler months which makes them an ideal base for this smoothie. They make up 10% of the Recommended Daily Value of Vitamin C, plus they're also rich in fiber and polyphenols, a group of antioxidants that help protect you from free radicals and the risk of chronic diseases. There's a reason why the saying "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" has been passed down through generations!
Known to help promote circulation while fighting inflammation, cinnamon rounds out the ingredients with warming notes to this balancing and nourishing recipe. It has been used as a medicinal spice for centuries, while we continue to discover its health-promoting benefits. Cinnamon is also known for helping balance blood sugar, so if you suffer from insulin resistance, it's a good idea to add it to your meals and snacks indiscriminately. But, not all cinnamon is created equal, particularly Ceylon cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants and reaps most health benefits.
While this smoothie can be enjoyed at any time, this delicious drink is a wonderful warming way to start the day.
- 1 Clean Cleanse Plain or Vanilla Shake Packet, or Daily Shake
- 2 cored apples, chopped. Pears can also be subbed here.
- ¾ cup nut-milk: either almond, cashew, coconut or rice
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ tsp ground cardamom or nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-2 dates for added sweetness
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Gently stir and warm water and nut milk together in a small saucepan, careful not to bring to a boil simply we want a warm liquid.
- Add chopped apple to your blender followed by spices, vanilla extract, and protein powder.
- Slowly pour the warm the nut milk and water into blender, adding less for a thicker smoothie (remember you can always add more liquid to thin!) Continue to blend until smooth.
- Pour into a mug, and top with a touch a cinnamon to enjoy!
This warm and nourishing smoothie can be enjoyed as breakfast or dinner in one of our cleanses Clean 7 or Clean 21. Find out more about our detox and gut-balancing programs here.