We hope you enjoy this new chicken pot pie recipe, our Clean version of the classic comfort food that can satisfy even the pickiest eaters. This is one of our more involved recipes, so give yourself some extra time when you first make it, and enjoy the process.
Chicken Pot Pie
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 to 4 shallots, minced
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced and divided into two equal
- 2 to 3 boneless chicken breasts (about 1½ pounds), diced
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups chicken broth (may need more but start with this
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ red onion, minced
- 1½ cup raw cashews, soaked for 4 to 6 hours, then drained
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- Optional: 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1½ cups blanched almond flour
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs, such as sage, rosemary, thyme,
- or chives (fresh herbs will work too; just use a bit more)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat.
2. Add the shallots and sauté them for 5 minutes, or until
they are translucent.
3. Add the carrots, celery, and half the minced garlic, and
continue to sauté until the carrots begin to soften, about 3
to 5 minutes.
4. Add the chicken and cook until most of the pink hue is
gone from the flesh.
5. Add the peas and ½ cup of the chicken broth.
6. Continue simmering until the vegetables are tender and
the chicken is fully cooked.
7. Salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
8. In a medium skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of
coconut oil over medium-high heat.
9. Add the red onion and sauté 5 to 8 minutes.
10. Add the other half of the garlic and sauté for an additional
3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
11. In a blender, purée the onion mixture, cashews, 1½ cups
of the chicken broth, cayenne, and the optional paprika
12. Transfer the mixture back to the large skillet with the
chicken and vegetables, and cook everything over
medium heat until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
13. Add more broth if needed and stir frequently.
14. Further salt and pepper to taste, then transfer everything
to a lightly oiled deep baking dish.
15. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
16. To make the crust, in a food processor combine the flour,
sunflower seeds, herbs, garlic powder, salt, olive oil, and
water, and pulse everything until well combined.
17. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured (non-gluten flour)
cutting board or on a sheet of parchment paper, which might
be helpful in transferring the dough to the baking dish.
18. Lay the dough over the top of the chicken mixture.
19. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.